Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Blockbusted Blogathon: The Wicker Man

By s. Wednesday, May 14, 2014 ,
Katy from Girl Meets Cinema is hosting Blockbusted Blogathon. She encourages us to write about one B-movie we adore and list the reasons why. 

The rules are:

1. Choose a super cheesy blockbuster B-rated movie(s). Genres include: disaster flicks, alien invasions, creature attacks, retro horror, and 80s and 90s action, supernatural.

2. In your post, include a picture(s) of your selection (etc) and reasons why you love that particular movie.(...)

3. Remember this blogathon is not about "bad movies"; it's about our unbreakable bond towards a cheesy blockbuster-esque movie with a setting, story, or character that introduces or deals with something not from this ordinary realm. (...)
Granted the movie I'm choosing is unbelievably awful but I think it is considered a B movie (or Z movie...) - it's a cross between retro horror and supernatural (though to be fair it's just another mangled Hollywood version of Wiccan religion. They'll never learn.).

It's the one, the only The Wicker Man remake, starring Nic Cage.

Here's the official synopsis - While recovering from a tragic accident on the road, the patrolman Edward Malus receives a letter from his former fiancée Willow, who left him years ago without any explanation, telling that her daughter Rowan is missing. Edward travels to the private island of Summerisle, where Willow lives in an odd community that plant fruits, and she reveals that Rowan is actually their daughter. 
 Along his investigation with the hostile and unhelpful dwellers, Edward discloses that the locals are pagans, practicing old rituals to improve their harvest, and Rowan is probably alive and being prepared to be sacrificed. When he locates the girl, he finds also the dark truth about the wicker man. 

If someone asked me for a movie recommendations for comedies, this movie would be there. There are so many bad movies out there but I have yet to see a bad movie that is funnier than this one. I'm still amazed people involved in the production actually thought they were making a horror movie.

The film is a remake of an actual good horror film of the same title. It is however a completely stand alone laugh riot.

Nic Cage in the bear suit.
Nic Cage punching random women.
Nic Cage suddenly speaking in southern accent.
Nic Cage pulling a gun on a woman and stealing her bike.

I could go on and on but all I can say is - watch this movie.

And also, watch this:

24 comments:

  1. Awesome choice Sati! I remember seeing that movie and thinking huh? But there were some scenes that were so awfully awesome! I found the ending quite fitting actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That movie is seriously hilarious.

      Delete
  2. LOL This movie is so fucking hilarious, and I love that video you included. I could watch gifs of Nic Cage punching random women for hours. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's seriously one of the funniest films I've ever seen :)

      Delete
  3. NO, NO, NOT THE BEES!!!! AH! MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!! AHH!!! ...G-G-G-GODDAMN!!!

    A very bad movie but man, so fun to watch over how bad it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for participating Sati! I haven't officially seen The Wicker Man; only clips of it from Nicholas Cage freaking out youtube videos. This is definitely one that I'm going to have to check out this summer - I'm in the need for a good B-horror comedy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! You won't be disappointed, the film is seriously so funny and ridiculous, Cage is really out of control in this one :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness I hadn't seen the video! That was hilarious! Seriously how did they keep a straight face while filming this terrible movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. I mean didn't Cage realize something is....wrong when he got into that bear costume?:D

      Delete
  6. Ahahaha. I've never seen this outside of the immortal bees scene, but I kind of want to just to see how awful all of it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need to see it! It's so bad that it's legendary! :)

      Delete
  7. Haha great post. Yes, definitely one of the most unintentionally hilarious movies ever made. I mean good God, what the hell was everyone involved thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glanced at some interviews with the people involved and they were apparently thinking they were making a horror movie which only makes the whole situation more amusing :)

      Delete
    2. Great choice for a cheese-fest. This movie is just a giant glob of wtf.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! It's such an entertaining disaster:)

      Delete
  8. I love that you chose this film, it is hilariously bad. But the original is actually excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original is a wonderful horror movie, this one was...a parody?:P

      Delete
  9. I have never seen this movie, but am dying to after that montage. That fucking bike scene may be the funniest thing I have ever seen. Can you imagine editing this? Like, actually choosing the best take in just about any of these scenes must have been sooooooo much fun.

    Ugh. I need this movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEED TO SEE IT! I'd love to read your review of it. The bike scene was hysterical, that was some serious misuse of police gun.

      Delete
  10. AWESOME! Everything that Nic Cage does here sounds brilliant. I second on having m.brown see this film, too! I'm a bit shocked that these screencaps are real... or the synopsis. Oh yes, adding this to my watchlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked too, trust me ^^ It just seems like something people would notice is silly while doing it :)

      Delete
  11. Haha, nice choice! The movie is shockingly bad. It's definitely funnier than some comedies, which doesn't really work with a horror film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnier than some comedies is usually as Cage's recent movies go, bless him :)

      Delete